segunda-feira, 7 de maio de 2018

17 DOs and DON'Ts of Open Relationships

By Alexander Cheves
Every relationship has its own rules — but here's some open guidelines.

Every relationship has its own rules — but here's some open guidelines.

I used to live in a large house with three gay men. They were a triad, a “throuple.” I was the guy upstairs. When one of them got cancer, none of us knew how to proceed. Do I stay? Do we fight? Do we simply live? Do we make plans? Do we stop making plans?
In his last weeks, his partners grew quiet, ready. No one is ready when this happens, and no one deserves it. But there is one essential payoff: Cancer reveals, from life’s myriad connections, the ones that matter most. Like sifting gold out of dirt, pain reveals which loves are real. Theirs was. 
Their relationship was polyamorous (from the Greek poly, meaning "many,” and Latin amor, "love") and nonmonogamous. In other words, their setup was extremely nontraditional by hetero standards and pretty common by queer ones. They set rules: Have fun at the circuit party, but come home to me. They had outside sex and outside flings, and enjoyed what most people would call an “open” relationship. Naysayers tend to blast open relationships and dismiss loves like this as “cheating by a different name.” You’ll likely read some of these opinions in the comments on this article.
You can disregard these opinions. These men showed me how powerful love looks when it’s right. Every relationship’s rules are different, but here’s a basic list to get you started — the DOs and DON’Ts of polyamory.


1. DON’T sit with your jealousy.

Everyone gets jealous. Proponents and practitioners of polyamory get just as jealous as everyone else. The trick to handling jealousy is talking about it, not sitting with it.
Say, “I’m jealous. I don’t look like those hot guys you were checking out.” Or: “I’m feeling a little jealous and trying to get through it. I know you love me, but I need some validation.”
The minute you say “I’m jealous,” it stops being this negative, ugly thing. It becomes what it is: a sign that you need some attention and reinforcement. Because you’re human.
17. Read The Ethical Slut: A Practical Guide to Polyamory, Open Relationships & Other Adventures by Dossie Easton and Janet Hardy.

17. Read "The Ethical Slut: A Practical Guide to Polyamory, Open Relationships & Other Adventures" by Dossie Easton and Janet Hardy.

I’ve referenced this book countless times in these slideshows. When I first recommended this book to readers, I was just a reader myself as well as a big fan of this book.
Now that I’m friends with the authors, I’m recommending it. The Ethical Slut is a timeless, invaluable resource for people who know they’re not made for one person, “till death do us part,” but who may not know where they fit in the countless other options for love. Give it a read.





A word of warning from Alex Cheves

My name is Alexander Cheves, and I am known by friends in the kink and leather community as Beastly. I am a sex-positive writer and blogger. The views in this slideshow do not reflect those of The Advocate and are based solely off of my own experiences. Like everything I write, the intent of this piece is to break down the stigmas surrounding the sex lives of gay men.
Those who are sensitive to frank discussions about sex are invited to click elsewhere, but consider this: If you are outraged by content that address sex openly and honestly, I invite you to examine this outrage and ask yourself whether it should instead be directed at those who oppress us by policing our sexuality.
For all others, enjoy the slideshow. And feel free to leave your own suggestions of sex and dating topics in the comments.
Hungry for more? Follow me on Twitter @BadAlexCheves and visit my blog, The Beastly Ex-Boyfriend. Photo by Jon Dean.

https://www.advocate.com/sexy-beast/2018/4/17/17-dos-and-donts-open-relationships#media-gallery-media-1




Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário